I absolutely love the Physique 57 DVD’s so I was super excited to try the new Bar Method class, after all who wouldn’t want to have the long lean body of a dancer? Both Bar Method and Physique 57 are ballet based workouts that use light weights and dance inspired movements to sculpt long lean muscles while increasing flexibility. Plus the new studio in the South Lake Union neighborhood of Seattle is gorgeous! Lots of turquoise and white, locker room with showers and I loved this…hair ties in case you forget yours!
We started with arm work including pushups, bicep curls and tricep extensions using light weights. This is a pretty big change for me since I usually lift pretty heavy so two to three pound dumbells seemed, well unintimidating. I was wrong! The teeny tiny one inch movements were killer and I was oh so happy to only be lifting something comparable in weight to an iPad. We them moved onto super small range of motion plies and squats and followed with left lifts lifting up and down only an inch. Oh my goodness where my muscles shaking uncontrollably! I was sweating bullets and I am not ashamed to say I had to stop and rest a few times. We concluded the class with more pushups, killer core work and some great stretches. Even days later I can still feel my biceps and triceps and yes, I wince just a little when I walk by a two pound dumbbell.
- Tight lean biceps and triceps
- Sculpted shoulders
- Super flat tight abs (seriously just looking at some of the instructors is inspiration enough)
- Long, lean thighs and high tight bootys
WHAT I LOVE
I adore doing something different and something that challenges me. I was not good at this class, like at all. Everyone else kicked my butt and I kinda love that. It means I really need to work on this kind of core strength and flexibility. The teachers were fantastic and even though it was my first time they knew my name and were very supportive and gentle in their corrections as they walked around the room. The music was good (pop, my fave) and the class seemed to fly by even during the crazy core work we did neat the end. Plus I’m a sucker for any workout that I can feel days later.
- FYI dress to impress at these classes…the girls turn it out! The class was filled with Lululemon‘s fall collection and most girls were in their late 20s to 30s. That might just be this location because I have seen men and women in their 40s and 50s at bar classes.
- This is a great workout for anyone starting out or looking to do something lower impact and lower intensity. (It’s not going to be high intensity like say, a cardio bootcamp) You can make it your own and I didn’t really feel like I had to keep up with anyone…a very pleasant surprise.
- Bar classes are sooo hot with celebs right now. Kelly Ripa, Gwyneth Paltrow, Madonna, Drew Barrymore, Lisa Rinna, Anna Paquin, Denise Richards and Jacqueline Laurita to name a few
THAT’S WHERE IT’S AT
REDMOND: The Bar Method Eastside Redmond Town Center 7551 166th Avenue NE, #D240 Redmond, WA 98052 425.556.5163 email@example.com
SEATTLE: The Bar Method Seattle South Lake Union 124 Westlake Ave North Seattle, WA 98109 206.467.5249 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go online to reserve your spot now!