Mexican food is hands down one of my faves! The chips, the salsa, the margaritas…what’s not to love! Unfortunately many Mexican dishes can be loaded with calories, sodium and fat and there’s a reason Bethenny Frankel made millions with her “Skinny Girl” margarita…the regular ones weigh in at 550 calories. The good news is plenty of Mexican restaurants also have healthier choices so you can feel guilt free hanging with your friends and enjoying your weekend fiesta! Here are a couple tips…
- Choose healthier entrees like chicken fajitas and chicken tacos. Since both options skip the refried beans, sauces and heaping rice portions found in burritos and enchiladas you’ll save on fat and calories while enjoying lean protein. (In fact, fajitas have only around 400 calories!)
- Ask for regular beans instead of refried ones.
- Resist the urge to make the basket of chips bottomless…This one is super hard for me but I splurge on the guacamole instead (it’s healthy fat after all) and savor my chips that way:)
- Opt for beer like a Dos Equis instead a margarita and you’ll save 400 calories.
- If you must have that margarita because sometimes those kind of weeks just happen, then make that your splurge for the night and save the guacamole for another weekend.