Don’t get me wrong, I live for summer, but when the weather starts to change and I feel that chill in the air, I start looking forward to fall. The pumpkin spice lattes, colorful leaves, family holidays and especially the fall fashion. I love the thick September issues of InStyle and Lucky and I start planning my fall shopping… this year one of my must haves is the loafer.
My Mom has worn Stubbs and Wooten loafers for as long as I can remember, and I love their preppy Palm Beach esthetic. I can’t really justify the $400 price tag, so I love that stores like the Gap and Nine West are doing an affordable interpretations (you can also pick up Stubbs and Wooten for JCrew if you like). I picked up the polka dot Gap loafers the other day and the studded Steve Maddens will be my next purchase. This style is really versatile, depending on the fabric you choose, loafers can go with a a great skirt and blouse for work, an LBD for evening and skinny jeans and a sweater for the weekend. Plus I love that they are practical enough to make running errands and being on your feet all day both achievable and stylish! ”If you’re priority is comfort and you’re on your feet all day, make sure you take a look at these comfortable shoes from Simply Feet.
- rose snakeskin and cap toe loafer (san edelman, $149)
- polka dot calf hair loafers ($49, Gap)
- stubbs and wooten blue velvet loafers (jcrew, $400)
- animal print loafers (nine west, $68)
- nine west panto loafer ($79, nine west)
- gold studded loafers (steve madden, $99)
- tassel loafer (jcrew, $238)
(outside dining photo from http://tinywhitedaisies.tumblr.com/ and Olivia Palermo photo from http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com)
Happy Friday! Here are three things I think will make for a great Fit Fab Weekend!
- Dine Al Fresco: When the weather gets warm I think ther’s nothing better than eating outside. Whether it’s a Sunday brunch or family dinner, or even ordering a pizza:), if the sun is shining, try to get outside to enjoy a summer meal!
- Sport Brightly Colored Shorts: Ok I admit it, I watched The City on MTV…even worse, I was bummed when it was cancelled. While she may have been the villain to Whitney Port’s California good girl, you have to admit Olivia Palermo had some killer style. I have her outfits all over my Pinterest board and I always draw on her polished and classic, yet youthful and playful style. I love this outfit with the bright shorts and neutral gauzy top with leopard accessories. This outfit would be perfect for a weekend about town. If you want to get a pair of shorts like Olivias I like these from Asos and these from Juicy Couture.
- Weekend Challenge: Ok this weekend replace your regular workout with this high intensity interval training (HIIT) workout video. It uses tabata protocol which is proven to burn the most fat in the least amount of time, and you’ll get both cardio and strength work. If you don’t usually workout on the weekends give it a try anyway. The extra workout will be perfect for getting swimsuit ready and BONUS! this one is only 10 minutes long. If you want more of a challenge though, repeat it one or even two times. I dare you:)
Happy Fit Fab Weekend!
My style tends to be pretty classic, so experimenting with nail color is one my favorite ways to partake in new trends. This year anything goes in the nail polish department, from dark shades to light ones, glitter to crackle finishes, plenty of intricate designs and one of my favorite trends… the multicolor or ombre mani.
I love ombre, in fact this cream to coral ombre is pretty close to the colors I used for my wedding last year. We used a white peach bellinis is as inspiration and incorparted shades of champagne to coral to create a graduation of color. (That’s how you know it’s ombre).
I was looking through some of my favorite polishes and realized I could do a similar look for my nails which I really ended up loving. It was playful and modern without being overtly trendy, and the best part, I didn’t have to choose between my favorite Julianne Juelp polish and Mango-get-em from Loreal:)
To recreate the look find 5 polish colors in the same color family that get gradually lighter, start with the darkest on your thumb and move to the lightest shade on your pinkie. This ombre trend a fun way to sport some of this summer’s bright nail polish colors! Enjoy!
If you don’t have 5 polishes that fit the bill you can layer polshes from the same family over each other to get a gradation of color. (The color on my middle finger is a combination middle two polish colors).
Jeans: Old Navy Rockstar in Marshmallow (similar here and here), Top: Madewell (similar here & here & here), Shoes: JCrew (similar here & here), Bag: JCrew, , Necklace: JCrew (similar here & here & here).
All right, it’s after Memorial Day so for all you Emily Post fans, it’s officially time to wear white! While I recognize that white is technically the absence of color…it’s actually my favorite color, so truth be told, I love wearing it all year long. I think it’s chic and sophisticated and pairs perfectly with both neutrals and bold colors. This Madewell top is one of may favorite’s, it’s silk, has a great pleat detail in front and happens to be the bold orange Pantone color of the year.
The jeans are actually from Old Navy so they are a great budget buy. (The key to white jeans, they have to be heavy enough denim so you don’t see through them:) I paired the jeans and top with neutral accessories and my go to acrylic statement necklace to keep focus on the great orange color. It’s a comfortable, classic outfit perfect for early summer dinners with my husband.
(This coral ombre manicure includes some of my favorite Julep and Lancome polishes and I’ll have a how to post coming up next week)
Sun, summer and stripes…three of my absolute favorite things! I just can’t pass up stripes, … it doesn’t matter where I find them, on chairs, shirts, trendy bedding, towels, pillows , you name it, if I find something with stripes it/s probably coming home with me. It’s a compulsion, really:)
One of my favorite ways to wear stripes is on a great sun dress, so I’ve picked out a few of my current favorites. Whether you want something nautical and preppy like the Lilly Pulitzer for Nantucket lunches, casual and cool for weekend brunches and shopping jaunts like Splendid tank dress or you want to go glam and colorful with the Coast dress for a summer wedding. There is a striped summer sundress for everyone and every budget…the Old Navy dress is only $30! My personal favorite (and one I think I’ll have to pick it up since I know I’ll wear it everywhere) is the sexy yet sophisticated Rachel Pally maxi dress. Here’s to summer dresses!
- James Perse Stripe Sundress
- Anthropolgie Between the Lines striped maxi dress
- Rachel Pally Maxi Dress with Cutouts
- Splendid Tank Dress
- JCrew Villa Dress (On Sale!)
- Asos Coast Stripe Dress
- Lilly Pulitzer Cassie Dress
- Felicity and COCO Jersey Tank dress
- Old Navy Striped Tank Dress