It’s officially Copper River Salmon season in Seattle, so my husband and I decided to make one of our favorite summer time salmon recipes the other night. It’s just a simply grilled salmon with a sort of marinade/crust that my Mom created made from horseradish mustard, chopped garlic and a squeeze of lemon. We top the salmon with the marinade/sauce a few minutes before putting in on the grill, and in no time we have a delicious, incredibly flavorful dinner with that has just a touch of heat and spice. I’m not actually a huge fan of fish and have only been eating it for about a year (which is really a crime given that I live in Seattle a city brimming with amazing salmon), but I love this preparation. The marinade turns into a fabulous crust and brings out layers of flavor without masking the richness of the salmon. I love serving it with blasted broccoli…to make it just heat garlic and olive oil over medium high heat in a pan and throw in partially blanched broccoli for 90 seconds, season with a little salt and pepper.
This dinner is so easy (especially when served with with a Whole Foods pre-made side pasta salad) and supremely healthy with all the antioxidants, Omega 3 fatty acids and protein. But most importantly…it’s delicious!
While I know it’s not Valentine’s Day yet (it’s technically this coming Tuesday), I thought I’d get in the spirit a little early and share some of my favorite things that I think make for both a Fit Fab Weekend and a Fit Fab Valentine’s!
- Fran’s Chocolates Salted Caramels: These are so melt in your mouth delicious that you deserve to be your own Valentine and gift yourself Fran’s chocolate covered salted caramels. This company is a hometown favorite in Seattle and uses only the finest quality, organic and locally sourced ingredients in their chocolates. The salted caramels are a celebrity favorite and have the richest, creamiest caramel covered in silky, decadent chocolate and sprinkled with course gray or smoked salt. The flavors are layered and exquisite and you only need one or two to satisfy a sweet tooth. Pure chocolate perfection! As I’m writing this I realize I have a lot of posts about chocolate…hmmm.
- Cherry Lip stain and Red Nail Polish: So I love a bold lip and I really love a bold red lip for Valentine’s Day… but there’s one problem… kissing with red lipstick or red lip gloss can be well, messy. That’s why I LOVE a cherry colored stain instead like this one from Stila. It looks gorgeous and stays put all night! My secret is to swipe cherry Chapstick over the top to keep my lips kissably soft. Also, red nails are Grace Kelly classic and perfectly festive for a Valentine’s evening. If you’re in the market for a great red give Julep’s Demi (a deeper red) or Salma (a fiery red) a try. I can’t say enough great things about Julep nail polish; it’s eco-friendly, lasts forever and looks amazing.
- Workout and relax together with your Valentine: Get some healthy endorphins going while spending time with your special someone;) Have a little workout date with jogging, tennis, golf, hiking, yoga, anything…then wind things down with a couple’s massage. The fitness and relaxation will take your stress levels down and give you and your honey some great quality time together.
Have a Fit Fab Valentine’s!
I had the pleasure of visiting the new Anthousa fragrance store in Seattle this week which is a beautiful combination of Parisian chic and New York sophistication. It wafts with the most incredible scents ranging from sweet white gardenia to crisp cucumber and green grass. My Mom is an interior designer and turned my onto these eco-friendly room fragrances years ago and now I’m completely obsessed. They make every room effortlessly chic and are one of those things that help life become a little more beautiful…naturally I had to share them as one the three things I think will make your weekend fit and fab.
- Eat Good Chocolate: I love food, especially desserts, and I think enjoying your favorite foods in moderation is the best way to go about having a healthy diet. That said, I have a little indulgence hint…I eat really good dark chocolate (70% cocoa) which is high in anti-oxidents and because the flavor is so intense one or two pieces completely satisfies my chocolate cravings. Right now I’m loving Theo chocolates which are made in Seattle and come in unique flavors like Ginger Rose, Hazelnut Crunch and my favorite Bread and Chocolate.
- Bring Home a Beautiful Fragrance: Anthousa makes beautiful room diffusers and exquisite candles that last forever and give a pure clean non overpowering scent to any room. The current special edition scent is Parisian White Tea but there are also aromatherapy scents and plenty others to choose from. The same way wearing a signature perfume makes you feel fabulous… Anthousa fragrances will do the same for your home. They are perfect next to the bath for your very own at home spa night plus they make great housewarming and Mother’s Day gifts.
- Start A Healthy Streak: Recently the internet was abuzz with the concept of starting a running streak. The principle is this… you decide to run a particular distance (say half a mile, a mile or three miles) everyday and you see how long you can keep the streak ging. I love this idea and I think since not everyone is a runner that it’s fun to open the “streak idea” up to any healthy choice. So pick one simple healthy thing…for example: eating a piece of fruit everyday, drinking water, walking for 15 minutes, starting a food journal or going to bed on time, anything you would like to make a healthy streak. Here’s the thing…it takes about 21 days to start a habit so if you keep the streak going for at least 21 days well guess what? Your healthy streak is now a healthy habit!
Happy Friday and I wish you a very Fit Fab Weekend!
My J Crew devotion began in middle school and has only continued to grow with time. I love getting their catalogs in the mail as they’re always filled with beautiful locations and fabulous outfit inspiration. Their pieces create that perfectly preppy east coast vibe but I also love to mix them with everything from leather pants to faux fur for edgier outfits.
I recently visited the store and the bright colored pre-spring line totally transported me away from the gray and rainy Seattle weather. I couldn’t help but imagine sporting the outfits in warmer temps and strolling through beachside towns on Cape Cod. Given it’s only January those warm days are a ways off but I’ve picked some of my favorite items that just might usher in an early spring:)
- Schoolboy Blazer : Shrunken, nipped in at the waist and totally flattering, this is one of my favorite wardrobe staples. Wear it now with jeans and flat, knee high boots for a chic equestrian nod and paired with shorts and a silk tank in spring.
- Stretch Colored Toothpick Jeans: Colored skinny jeans are a huge trend for spring. J Crew has several colors but I like these soft yellow ones…banana references aside:)
- Sperry Top Sider Boat Shoe: The minute I saw these I knew I had to have them. What can I say, I have a weakness for anything nautically inspired. I like the pink but these Sperry’s come in many different colors and are a nice casual alternative to ballet flats.
- Printed iPhone Case: Fun and chic way to make your phone a fab accessory.
- Bubble Necklace: Jazz up everything from a plain white tee to a printed dress and the blue color is oh so flattering on many different skin tones.
- Keeper Chambray Shirt: This will be one of the most versatile pieces in your closet. It is a go to for every super popular fashion blogger out there and will look great day or night with everything from white jeans to sequin skirts to leggings.
- Pebble Dot Bermuda Shorts: I’d wear these with a navy and white striped shirt and nude wedges. Bermudas are not only a flattering length they also make for a polished way to wear shorts.
It’s January and in Seattle it’s (shock of shocks) raining! Since it’s been winter weather for a while you might be getting a little bored with your usual indoor cardio workout. Well, here’s a new printable workout that you can do on any cardio machine and it’s sure to beat your boredom. It combines hill work, sprint intervals and longer intervals so find an elliptical trainer, treadmill or bike and you’re good to go!
- The workout broken into three parts and if you’re new to working out you can do one or two sections or if you’re looking for more of a challenge you can do all three.
- The workout totals about 43 minutes of cardio.
- Part A is about climbing a big gradual hill
- Part B consists of 30 seconds sprints
- Part C is longer intervals of 2, 3 and 4 minutes. One has a hill.
- If you’re using a treadmill feel free to walk the whole workout and use the speed guide to help complete the intervals
You can print the workout here….indoor cardio wkout